Team of Medical Experts
Looking after your mental health is just as important as looking after your physical health. Here at Mahkota Medical Centre, our clinical psychologists are making counselling accessible and convenient – with experience in handling everyday emotional problems to mental health conditions.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Psychotherapy or talk therapy involves patients speaking to trained therapists about their thoughts and feelings, offering a safe, non-judgemental space for inner exploration and transformational work with emotions.
Psychotherapy can be both short-term done within a few sessions, dealing with immediate issues, or long-term, dealing with longstanding and complex issues.
WHEN IS PSYCHOTHERAPY FOR ME?
Currently, 2.3% of all Malaysian adults have depression, while 7.95 of children between 5 to 15 years of age were found to have mental health problems, attributed to weak interaction with their peers.
Among the elderly, 1 in 10 are depressed, characterised by symptoms that adversely affect the psychosocial well-being and daily functioning of Malaysia’s elderly.
We all face struggles at some point in our lives, and some struggles impact a person’s quality of life. Psychotherapy may be helpful to you if:
- You feel overwhelmed with a prolonged sense of helplessness and sadness
- Your problems do not get better despite your best efforts and help from family and friends
- You have difficulty to concentrate on work assignments or carry out daily everyday activities
- You worry excessively, expect the worse or are always on edge
- Your actions are harming you and others around you.
DO I NEED HELP?
If you feel the extent of these emotions that they interfere with your life, consider seeking help. Read the statement below and answer according to how you feel over the past week.
- Do you find it hard to wind down?
- Are you aware that you are experiencing dryness in your mouth?
- Do you experience any positive feelings?
- Do you have difficulty in breathing?
- Do you have difficulty motivating yourself to get things done?
- Do you tend to over-react?
- Do you experience trembling?
- Do you feel agitated?
- Do you find it hard to relax?
- Are you intolerant of hurdles coming your way?
- Are you always close to panic?
- Do you feel that you are not worth it?
- Do you experience increased heart rates despite being inactive?
- Are you easily spooked without any particular reason?
- Do you feel that life is meaningless?
Please seek advice from our clinical psychologists, and understand how psychiatric diagnosis and treatment can help you.
Clinical Psychology is a specialised field within the discipline of psychology. Clinical Psychologists are trained to conduct psychological assessments of feelings, behaviour and thoughts to understand the psychological disorder and to diagnose it. Clinical Psychologists are also trained to conduct psychological interventions on individual or groups living with psychological disorders or related problems such as intellectual disabilities and learning disabilities.
Clinical Psychologist provides:
- Behavioural assessment
- Couple/family therapy
- Emotional assessment
- Intellectual assessment
- Individual therapy
- Psychological assessment
- Psychological testing
- Support group (e.g. parenting/ caregiver support group etc.)
- Talks and workshops
For children with developmental issues:
- Behavioural problems: unable to sit still, forgetful, easily distracted, specific interest (e.g. likes playing with wheels only), impulsive
- Emotional problems: throw tantrum easily, fearful about the new environment, separation anxiety, clingy
- Gross and fine motor problems: clumsy, falls easily, unable to self-feed or dress-up
- Learning issues: unable to write well, confused with words, slow in copying, not interested in studies, performs badly in the exam
- Sensory problems: touch, high sensitivity to sounds, food texture/taste
- Social interaction: not interested to interact with others, withdrawal, being aggressive towards others, challenge group rules
- Speech problems: unclear pronunciation, delayed speech development, stuttering
What should you do when you notice that your child has the symptoms related to the difficulties stated as above?
- See a Paediatrician to find out if your child has any health problems (e.g. stomach ache, gastric). If the child is ruled out from any health or physical issues, please refer to a Clinical Psychologist for further evaluation of your child’s developmental issues.
- See a Clinical Psychologist to evaluate child’s developmental issues and the Clinical Psychologist will make recommendations for further intervention if needed (e.g. speech therapy, occupational therapy, school intervention etc.).
- Work with a Clinical Psychologist to address issues related to education and parenting at home.
- Clinical Psychologist will work with school, parents and other therapists to improve child’s functioning at home and school.
If you have experienced the symptoms as stated below for more than one month, it is advisable to seek professional help to address the presenting problems.
- Behavioural: not interested to do anything, paranoid, do something repeatedly, self-harming behaviour, impulsive, aggressive, unable to focus, insomnia, forgetful, procrastinate
- Emotional: moody, angry, depressed, sad, worry, anxious, resentful, fearful, traumatic sense
- Performance: poor self-care, unable to perform at work, poor working relationship with others, lack of motivation to improve self
- Social interaction: withdraw from others, isolate and unwilling to go out, fear of being alone, clingy, not willing to communicate
What are the possible causes for the above symptoms?
- Family problems: parent-child relationship problems, parenting problems, inter-generational conflicts
- Medical problems: cancer, infertility, dementia, chronic illness
- Relationship problems: courtship/marital problems, extra-marital affairs
- Social relationship: peer bully, stigma, peer pressure, peer conflicts and miscommunication
- Work/academic performance: high stress at work/school, poor stress-coping skills, poor organisation skills
- Traumatic experiences: physical/emotional/sexual abuse, car accident, loss of someone
What should be done to address personal problems?
- Seek medical consultation from a Medical Doctor to find out the medical-related problems and get necessary medical treatment to address the issues.
- If there is no medical-related problem, see a Psychiatrist to rule out the mental-related problems and receive necessary psychiatric treatment to reduce the presenting symptoms.
- Seek a Clinical Psychologist for further psychological treatment to address the underlying causes for the presenting symptoms and learn how to cope and manage the difficulties at this stage.
How to seek psychological services?
- You will need a referral letter from a practicing Medical Doctor. If you are referred by a school counsellor/clinical psychologist, you are encouraged to get a referral letter that is endorsed by a practicing Medical Doctor.
- You may call to schedule an appointment with our Rehabilitation Centre’s staff at 06-285 2901/2704.
- You will be called to attend the session according to the scheduled appointment. Please bring your referral letter, identification card or birth certificate/Mykid card (for children) for verification and personal information filling.
- Once your personal information form is filled, your therapist will then call and attend to you. Your therapy session will start in a short while.
Privacy and Confidentiality
All the obtained information will be private and confidential and no information will be released without consent (written or verbal form) from the patient. However, some information will be reported accordingly if there are circumstances which possess danger to oneself. This is in accordance to the duty to report based on the ethical practice guideline for a therapist in Malaysia.
Clinical Psychological Services
Ms Khor Mei Mei
Ms Twinkle Lok Sze Han
For more information or appointments, please call:
Monday – Friday: 8.30am – 5.30pm
Saturday: 8.30am – 12.30pm
Basement, Rehabilitation Centre