This is a treatment that many cancer patients have to go through, where chemical substances in the form of one or more anti-cancer drugs are administered. At Mahkota, our Chemotherapy Day Care is located on the 5th floor. Explained below is what a patient can expect during a typical chemotherapy session:
- You will meet the nurse or other health professional who will oversee your chemotherapy.
- You will subsequently undergo a brief physical examination to check your vital signs e.g. blood pressure, pulse, respiration rate and temperature.
- Your height and weight will be measured to calculate the appropriate dosage of chemotherapy to be given.
- An intravenous (IV) catheter (slender tube) will be inserted into a vein in your arm.
- A blood sample will be taken.
- Lastly, you will meet with your oncologist who would have ordered the chemotherapy in the first place, assess your condition before each treatment, and review the results of your bio tests.